Analysis of Heroku and Engine Yard looking at ease of use, architecture, startup costs, and more.
With last week’s gale of Google cloud announcements, it’d be easy to think that the Google has a competitive offering compared with Amazon Web Services. But when you look at the number of services Google fields versus Amazon, that is simply not the case.
Where is IBM Smart Cloud? Sorry we are talking about cloud and IBM is not in the loop.
Although AWS is known for its wide array of features and reliability, problems can still occur. This post lists the most common AWS problems and what you can do to solve them.
Amazon provides a bunch of cloud services like IaaS, SaaS, DaaS etc. This page gives you tutorials about how to use AWS’s services. http://bit.ly/ZYKl4y
In this post I will only focus on the IaaS part and try to compare it against IBM’s Smart Cloud since both of them provide an IaaS cloud service. A tutorial about how to provision an instance within AWS can be found in http://bit.ly/12fIE0u
1.Both of them are able to provision a bunch of operation systems. However for IBM’s approach you need to provide your own license for commercial OS like Windows. For AWS it provides an amazon license (I successfully installed Windows 2012 through AWS on 02/05/2013. No license required.) I noticed Windows 2012 is free for 180 days. Thus I think IBM supports more types of OS.
2.Amazon provides a more convenient way to access its instance. For instance after provisioning a windows instance ,for IBM you need to do the remote desk by yourself (unfortunately I am using windows 8 and I have no idea where remote desk is situated), but AWS provides a remote desk file. So I just double click that file and input my password.All done.
3.I am located in Australia. I can provision an instance in Australia. But IBM does not provide an Australian region, so I have to use Singapore instead. I am not saying Singapore is not safe. But as an Australian, my instance is oversea. The user experience is not good. BTW as I know one of IBM’s policies is you need to put your cloud stuff within Australia.
4. When right click the provisioned instance, AWS provides a Amazon menu (which provides some short cuts for some basic features like reboot machine, terminate machine etc.) while IBM gives a normal browser menu. Below is the menu from AWS.
5. For IBM Smart Cloud I am an enterprise user, thus I have more options in CPU and Memory. For AWS I am a free user, thus what I can use is just 1core CPU and only 613M of memory. But for a purchase user AWS provides more options. Please see below I found the max number of CPU is 16 and the max number memory it supports is 60.5G.
In this post, I compared Amazon AWS and IBM Smart Cloud Enterprise. Both of them are good candidates for IaaS. However based on my experience, IBM has a long way to go against this field.
Like Amazon AWS, IBM Smart Cloud provides an IaaS platform to provision OS instances (In this sample we will provision a Windows 8 instance).It is PAYG as well. In this post we will give you an experience of provisioning an instance through IBM Smart Cloud Enterprise. There is a comparison between IBM Smart Cloud and Amazon AWS for your reference. http://bit.ly/WWkoSW Based on my experience IBM has a very long way to go.
1. go to https://www-147.ibm.com/cloud/enterprise/dashboard and log in using your own account. Then it will go to this screen
2. Click the Add Instance button, it goes to the next page.
3. As I mentioned previously in this sample we will create a windows 8 instance.So in Image name we select Windows 8.
4. you can add your own IP if you have. After placing the order you go to this page.
5. It goes back to the control panel page and you may find the status can be changed from initially Requesting to Provisioning (to provision a Windows 2008 instance it cost me approx 30 minutes) then to the Active status(I believe in the back ground it uses TSAM or ISDM)
You may find the server configuration is CPU2, RAM: 4G Disk 60G
Once the status changed to Active, it means your machine is ready.
6. Since it is a sample, we will delete it. See the Delete Instance above. You can click it to de-provision an instance.
7. Once an instance is removed, you may see the following page
You may find the sentence “You do not have any instance at this time” in the page.
In this post, we illustrate how to provision/de-provision a Windows 8 instance in IBM Smart Cloud Enterprise.