Like Amazon AWS, IBM Smart Cloud provides an IaaS platform to provision OS instances (In this sample we will provision a Windows 8 instance).It is PAYG as well. In this post we will give you an experience of provisioning an instance through IBM Smart Cloud Enterprise. There is a comparison between IBM Smart Cloud and Amazon AWS for your reference. http://bit.ly/WWkoSW Based on my experience IBM has a very long way to go.
1. go to https://www-147.ibm.com/cloud/enterprise/dashboard and log in using your own account. Then it will go to this screen
2. Click the Add Instance button, it goes to the next page.
3. As I mentioned previously in this sample we will create a windows 8 instance.So in Image name we select Windows 8.
4. you can add your own IP if you have. After placing the order you go to this page.
5. It goes back to the control panel page and you may find the status can be changed from initially Requesting to Provisioning (to provision a Windows 2008 instance it cost me approx 30 minutes) then to the Active status(I believe in the back ground it uses TSAM or ISDM)
You may find the server configuration is CPU2, RAM: 4G Disk 60G
Once the status changed to Active, it means your machine is ready.
6. Since it is a sample, we will delete it. See the Delete Instance above. You can click it to de-provision an instance.
7. Once an instance is removed, you may see the following page
You may find the sentence “You do not have any instance at this time” in the page.
In this post, we illustrate how to provision/de-provision a Windows 8 instance in IBM Smart Cloud Enterprise.